Translate

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Guava Tree

I discovered that in the very back corner of my concession (compound) behind my house I have a guava tree.  Well, let me clarify.  My post mate found it after he followed some teenagers who went back there and were trying to take them all.  Honestly, people go back there all the time.  I never know why, though usually it is kids my landlord pays to sweep up my yard.  I should probably pay more attention to stuff like that…  Either way, I’ve been checking the guava tree every few days now.  They aren’t my favorite fruit, but they are pretty tasty and easy to eat.  You eat the rind so you basically eat it like an apple.  I’ve been having a few each day.  I like being able to think, “I need a snack,” and then walk out back and grab one off the tree.

I’ve been sick the last few days, but I think I’m finally starting to get over it.  I could actually sleep last night, so that was a great change.  I’m not sure what it is, but the symptoms are cough, mucus, sore throat, aches, headache, and I think a bit of a fever too.  My post mate also got sick, he thinks it was caused by the climate change coming from the Grand South to the North.  I really need to remember to bring a jacket when I travel south; it is so cold down there.  A friend pointed me out that it is still in the 70s, but that feels cold to me.  I’m nervous about what Colorado will be like in December and Ukraine in January.  I’m not sure what to do about my Ukraine visit; I don’t want to bring a winter coat and then have it when I come back to Cameroon.  Definitely won’t need it here. 

Speaking of which, my trip is in just over two months!  It’s coming up quick, I’m trying to get souvenirs for everyone, but it’s hard to save enough funds to do it.  Luckily I’ve already gotten started, but there’s a lot more that I want to get.  I know I’ll be leaving people out, but what can you do, I can only bring so much back home.  Sorry guys. 

Time will definitely go by fast, too.  I’ll be leaving in a week for ICT (technology) Committee.  Friends will be traveling back up with me so they can see the North, plus a bunch will be coming North for Garoueen (Halloween in Garoua, a yearly tradition).  A couple of weeks after that, we will actually be getting newbies up here!  Only one YD will be coming North, but we might get up to 9 people total.  We’re going to throw a big party to welcome them, can’t wait!  A couple of weeks after that is Thanksgiving.  We are hosting it in Guider and a bunch of people are coming up for that too.  There is a Food Security Conference in the cluster right after, so people are using that as an excuse.  We even have a guy we are going to talk to about reserving turkeys!  Then a couple weeks after that is my trip.  Things are really busy; I’m just going to have to make a real effort to get work in too. 


I was supposed to start teaching lessons today.  I was going to start a month ago when school started, but I went to my youth center and my counterpart, Godwe, said they weren’t starting yet.  I asked why and he said he was too tired – he was going to wait until October.  On va faire comment?  (What can you do?)  I’m going to do Tuesday/Thursday classes out of the Life Skills Manual – basically on life skills and good decision-making skills.  Today, however, is Fête du Mouton, something that I’ll talk more about my next blog post.  Guess I’ll have to wait until Thursday to actually start.  I’ll only be able to get in two classes until I have to go to Yaoundé again for another committee, but I’ll try to rush back up after to start in earnest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment