Translate

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Greetings from the Future


Greetings from the Future!
It is now 8:15 in the morning on Tuesday, June 5th in Sydney, Australia.  I would love to tell you what has happened in the future, but unfortunately, I have been kept in the dark.  Literally.  We left LA late last night after 10PM, and then ran away from the sun for 15 hours.  Only after finally making it to Sydney did the sun rise.  We will be here for another couple of hours, and then it is off to Darwin, where we will actually get to look around!  We don’t leave Darwin until 5:30 tomorrow morning and we get in this afternoon, so we will have at least a bit of time.
So far there is not much to tell, except that United sucks in every way.  They wanted to charge $50 to get to LA and then $140 to get to Sydney just for the exit row with extra legroom.  I’m sorry, but there should just be a rule that if you are a certain height you get the exit row.  A 5’7” ginger had it instead, which is insulting in so many ways.  Not only did we not get the exit row, but we sat behind it, and the guy in front of me with 5 feet to stretch out (literally) leaned his seat back the entire flight, leaving me with even less room when my knees were already in my chin.  Not only that, but I swear they must give less room per seat than any other airline in the USA, both with width and legroom – at best 2/3 of what Southwest gives you.  I cuddled with Grant for the last 15 hours.
The kicker is that the movies they had were terrible.  John Carter, one of the biggest blockbuster flops in history; My Week with Marilyn some terrible movie about some guy that just gets to spend a week with Marilyn Monroe, fucking not only her but Emma Watson (completely unrealistic and boring as hell); and finally something that I don’t know the name but I’m going to call Free Willie Infinity: In the Arctic!  It was with Drew Barrymore (and if at this point you still want to watch it, I’m already worried bout you), John Krasinski, Ted Danson, and Kristen Belle.  Alright, the last three may have caught your interest, but don’t be fooled!  It was a bit heartwarming at the end, but overall annoying and corny, and not in a good 90s way.  Drew Barrymore is already obnoxious without being an eco-activist too. 
So far Australia is awesome.  I may not get to spend anytime in Sydney, but I didn’t have to pay to check my bag to Darwin, and they already gave me a seat with extra legroom without any charge or fuss!  Plus they all pronounce my name right!  (That’s Grey-yum, not GRAM).  So far I’m pretty much just sitting here, relaxing, and charging my nook (Game of Thrones and Dark Tower Series here I come).  I hope to be able to use this power adapter in the future after this trip.
The entire time I’ve been writing this the girl at the makeup counter has been putting on makeup.  I know she works there, but you would think eventually she would get enough on, right?  Maybe after losing feeling in her face because of all the layers?   For those of you wondering, I’ll be back the night of June 26th.  My first location (after Darwin) will be Dili, the capital of Timor-Leste, and we will be staying in the Hotel Vila Verde from June 6-10 and June 22-25 if anyone needs to get ahold of me.  It should have email.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Graham, maybe you could contact UA with your return flight information. Explain that you are a student returning from a humanitarian project, and do not have the money to pay for extra legroom. Stress the fact that you are 6'6" and that flying that many hours in their regular seating is extremely uncomfortable. Might work-you never know unless you try.
    Sounds like you are having a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete