Translate

Friday, May 9, 2014

A month without a post

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Guider has now been closed for a solid month.  The first few days I was in Limbé for the National Girls’ Forum, so I was pretty busy and distracted from it.  After that, I took the train up and stayed in Ngaoundéré for a couple of days.  The local Peace Corps staff in the Grand North has been amazing.  I got a ride up with them to Garoua, where I had to stay a week or so.  I planned on going earlier but they wanted to confirm the plan, which they kept changing.  Luckily, I was able to go back to Guider for a week. 

It was funny the different tracks that the three of us in Guider have taken.  One of my post mates came back just a couple of days before we were closed, so he didn’t have much time to say goodbye to people.  My other post mate was there about the same amount as me, and made a strong effort to go around and say goodbye.  I said goodbye to some people, but it’s like I couldn’t get myself to actually do it or even pack.   I don’t know if I was in denial or what, but I packed a bit and mostly just lived like I would have anyways.  Out of the three of us, one is going home a couple of months early, one is staying the normal time in a new post, and I am planning on extending. 

Everyone in Guider was really understanding about the situation though.  They knew that it was not our fault; our bosses made the decision.  They also know how dangerous Boko Haram is in general, and they were glad that we are going to be safe.  A friend of one of my post mates even told him that he had a new neighbor, and that Guider might not be safe for us anymore. 

After a week in Guider, Peace Corps helped us to move our stuff to Ngaoundéré.  We are incredibly grateful for that – most of the other closures did not have near the time to move or the help from Peace Corps.  I stayed with a friend in Dir in the Adamaoua for a few days, and then headed south to Yaoundé.  Long story short, I’m just hanging out here until I can go to Morocco to get my tooth fixed.  Apparently my extension can’t move on until I get medically cleared – not even finding out where I will live. 

While there have been a lot of changes in the last month, I think the biggest one is that people have actually heard of Boko Haram now.  Since I’ve been living mostly in cases (transit houses) for a month, I’ve had pretty good access to the Internet.  By now, it seems like everyone has heard about the close to 300 girls that were kidnapped by Boko to be sold throughout the region.  All I see on Facebook is pictures of protestors and signs with the hashtag #bringbackourgirls. 

I think that it’s great that the rest of the world is finally recognizing the atrocities committed by this terrorist group, but the fact is that Boko Haram has been operating for years.  More than a year ago, the post closures started happening in the Grand North of the country because of kidnappings.  Since then, I have had a Google alert on them, and have watched as story after story has unfolded of Boko Haram burning down schools and entire villages, often with people inside, slaughtering hundreds of men, women, and children.  It’s terrible that it has taken the international community this long to catch on.  Also, while the girls being kidnapped is an absolutely awful situation, the boys were just slaughtered. 


Boko Haram has destabilized the entire Northeast of Nigeria.  Schools have been shut down because any kept open are attacked, burned to the ground, and the students killed.  The government has no control, and the military has been accused of the same brutalities.  The conflict has started to spill into Cameroon, and most of us who have been closed heard of Boko Haram being in our posts.  Meanwhile, on Cameroon’s opposite border, the Central African Republic is slipping further into chaos and closer towards genocide.  Muslims fleeing towards Cameroon have been massacred.  I’m very glad that the issue is starting to come to the forefront, I just hope that people realize that kidnapped girls are only a part of the problem, and more than five times that number have been killed by Boko Haram this year alone. West/Central Africa needs help, and I don't think hashtags are going to do it.  

2 comments:

  1. Did you go around and say goodbye, or stay in denial until you left? Too am glad that the rest of the world is hearing of Boko Haram, but worry that U.S. involvement (while a good thing) may put you and other PCVs ingreater danger if they start targeting Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said goodbye to a few people, but mostly stayed in denial. I don't like goodbyes. I think PC will probably close places in danger before it comes to that.

    ReplyDelete