Translate

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A Nice Family Saturday


Sunday, November 11, 2012 – A Nice Family Saturday

Yesterday I went to Centre-Ville with a couple of friends.  After our training session, where I actually uploaded pictures on Facebook (you’re welcome, Internet), we walked there instead of taking a moto.  It only took about 20 minutes, so it wasn’t too bad.  It was nice to get out and see parts of the town that I didn’t before. 

A friend of mine pointed out to me that I have become this one girl’s fake boyfriend – basically a boyfriend without any of the benefits.  I walk her home from the bar most nights, and she steals my drinks.  She even admonishes me for not keeping my room clean enough.  In return, I get a half-hug.  It’s pretty great.  I went down to Centre-Ville with her and another friend, who we ended up adopting as our daughter.  It’s a kind of weird relationship now, but fun.  Especially now that I realized what’s going on, because the jokes are almost endless. 

We ended up seeing a bunch of PCTs at the restaurant there, so we sat down and got some food – chicken with legumes, fried plantains, and French fries.  After that we went to the boulangerie (bakers) and got a piece for sweaty cake and a piece of sweet bread.  We even went to look at fabric.  It was a great family Saturday; I think next weekend we are going to go to Home Depot, maybe Bed, Bath and Beyond. 

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

We found out a bit about our logistics for moving up to post, and it doesn’t sound like fun.  First of all, we have to have all of our stuff that we want the Peace Corps to move ready on Friday, a full week before we are actually leaving, so we will have to keep one of our big bags so we can have a week and a half to two weeks worth of clothes and everything else.  Then they aren’t even moving our stuff to our regional capital or anything like that.  For people going to most regions, they have to figure it out from Bafia.  For those of us going to the Grand North, they are taking our stuff to Adamoua and we have to get it the rest of the way ourselves.  At this point we are planning on getting a bus for all of us to Garoua, then I will have to get a bush taxi to my post. 

All of us also get 200,000 CFA for settling-in expenses.  It should be enough to get the basics, but not everything.  Some people got really lucky with what their houses already have; one guy has 3 beds, a couch, a stove, and a refrigerator.  My house has… nothing.  Luckily, I will have electricity and running water!  I am definitely ready to be able to take showers.  It sounds like my post-mate will be able to help me acquire some of the other stuff as well, so that’s good.  He sounds like a nice guy. 

On Tuesday I will finally be going to a dentist for my broken tooth – it’s only been a few weeks.  We are all going in to Younde to get banking done, so I will go then.  Hopefully I will be able to get the money I brought exchanged too so I will have a bit extra when I go to post.  I think I am going to buy the trunk that they gave us too – it will help me move my stuff up and give me a coffee table for when I get up there.  It’s a bit expensive at 13,000, but what can you do?  Alright, time to get ready for another session.  

Me in my swearing-in outfit

Some other trainees in their new outfits.  The guy on the right is the tailor.

A very colorful lizard

The market from our seats in the restaurant

2 comments:

  1. great outfit. i want one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look like an ambassador on next generation. I mean that in the best way possible!

    ReplyDelete