Translate

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Kings in the North


Thursday, November 15, 2012 – Kings in the North

We found out some great and some not so great news about moving to post.  The great news is they will be taking us all of the way there!  Next Friday we will be going taken to Yaoundé in the morning, where we’ll get to hang out for a few hours.  At 4 PM we’ll be taken to the train station, where we’ll board for a really long ride, something like 14-18 hours.  Luckily there will be a bunch of us, anyone going to the Grand North (Adamaoua, North, Extreme-North) on the train.  I’m not sure exactly how many that is, but there is something like 12 of us in the North alone.  From what I hear, usually in situations like this the Peace Corps will just rent out a sleeper car or two, so it will hopefully just be PCVs all together.  We’re planning on getting some drinks to take with us and live it up. 

The train will take us to Ngounderé, where the people posted in Adamaoua will stay.  A couple of private cars (or busses, not really sure) will then take the rest of us; the people in the Extreme-North to Maroua, and the people in the North to Garoua, with us getting there Saturday night.  Those of us in the North will stay there for a whole 4 nights!  In a hotel the whole time!  I’m honestly not sure why we are staying there for so long; I know we are doing banking stuff on Monday.  Part of me thinks maybe it was just a typo, and we’ll only be there for two or three days, but I’m hoping. 

My post-mate will be meeting us in Garoua along with other PCVs to help show us around and buy a few things, and then he will take me and the people in my area to Guider.  Not sure how we are getting from Garoua to Guider, but I’m feeling pretty confident that we will be fine with the help of my post-mate.  Hopefully while we are in Garoua I will be able to pick up some necessities for my house. 

There are only a couple of not so great things.  The first is small – I was hoping that we could spend a night at least with everyone in Ngounderé, but it looks like that will not be able to happen.  The second is a little bigger.  We have to have all of our big luggage labeled and ready to go by Saturday morning at 7 AM.  That means we will have a whole week without most of our stuff, including our water filters, a majority of our clothes, moto helmets, and so on.  Even though we are supposed to send on all of our big luggage, I think I might keep my larger backpack; I do need to have a week’s worth of clothes, toiletries, and everything else.  It’s going to be kind of hard to pack it up too.  The light in my room hasn’t worked for more than a week, and it’s an electrical problem, which my family hasn’t tried to fix.  Plus my room is so dark all of the time I’ll mostly have to do it by flashlight.  I understand that there are logistical reasons that they want our bags early, but a whole week?  It’s a long time to not have most of our things. 

I found out a bit more about my post.  My house has a bedroom and a living room with a bathroom in the hallway.  The kitchen is apparently pretty big but it is in a separate building by itself.  From what I gather, it is in a compound with another family or two, at least three kids in primary school, but there are trees in between the houses so hopefully there will be a bit of privacy. 

We spent quite a bit of time today comparing Cameroon to Westeros in Game of Thrones.  It of course doesn’t fit perfectly geographically, but we think we have it down for the most part.  If you have a map around, have fun with this.  The Extreme-North is beyond the wall, Guider is Winterfell, Garoua is White Harbor, and where a friend of mine is (I can’t remember the name) is The Twins (also in the North region).  That makes Ngounderé The Vale, Bafoussam is Highgarden, Yaoundé is Old Town, and Douala is King’s Landing.  There are some arguments about which is which between the Northwest and Southwest regions – Casterly Rock and Riverrun.  The East is another one I’m not quite sure on either, maybe Herrenhal, maybe Dragonstone, maybe Storm’s End.  The South is definitely Dorne, with Kribi as Sun Spear.  That makes me and a buddy the Kings in the North, which I am fine with.  Yes, I know, we are dorks.  

A picture of Molly Sakic Button that my parents sent me.  I miss her.  Also, congratulations to her middle namesake for getting inducted into the Hall of Fame!

My host-dad showing Adama pictures by candlelight. 

Dancers and drummers during diversity day.  

A great awkward smile for a great awkward candy.  If you can't see, that is Corn Bubblegum.  Don't worry, there is absolutely no corn in the ingredients, and it tasted and had the texture of drywall.  

Where we get our sandwiches everyday.  She usually hooks me up: avocado, an egg, tomatoes, onions, beans, vinegar, peimont, and magi (soya sauce).  

1 comment:

  1. We've been reading all your blogs and keep looking forward to the next one. I hope by now you're settled in your post and have found someone to do your laundry and also some furniture.

    ReplyDelete