Translate

Friday, October 12, 2012

Over the Past Week Sans Internet


Over the Past Week – Started Friday, October 5, 2012

It looks like this post is going to cover a few days, since I couldn’t post my other one today.  I’m starting it Friday, but it will be up Monday at the earliest, if the Internet is back up.  Obviously it wasn’t, so I’m going to post it about a week after it was written.

We got our language report cards for the first two weeks; mine was actually pretty good.  Basically it said overall that I took the initiative, spoke in paragraphs, was good at speaking in the present and passé compose, and took a lot of notes.  I have to work on my pronunciation, phrase structure, enriching my vocabulary, and the difference between passé compose and imparfait.  Basically I just have to keep practicing, studying, and speaking to people. 

Today we also met a couple of PCVs who just finished their first year.  They are here to do our bike training tomorrow, which I’m actually pretty excited about.  I mean, I know how to ride a bike, but I’m not exactly mechanically oriented.  Learning how to change the tires, put on the chain, and whatever other basic stuff we’ll go over is going to be really helpful later on.  The bike training was actually good – probably our best training that we’ve had outside of language.  In just an hour they told us some general bike rules of the road to follow (they’re aren’t really any, basically watch out because cars and motorcycles will just hit you), and taught us some mechanical stuff.  I now know how to change the tires and tubes, adjust the breaks, and fix the chain.  

One of the guys is an MI from Korbel too – I guess there are now three of us in Cameroon.  He and the other guy added me on the FB a few months ago, but I only accepted yesterday when I found out who they are.  The more current PCVs I meet outside of training the better, because I can get some real information from them instead of the usual filtered stuff.  One guy is from the North, where I’ll probably be stationed, and made me a bit nervous by his talk of “130 degrees in the shade really feels the same as 100 degrees, you’ll get used to it.”  Plus I guess it is pretty conservative Muslim in a lot of areas and women aren’t treated great, even PCVs, so that is going to have to be something to get used to. 

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Quite a bit has happened over the past week, it was frustrating without Internet, but not a big deal.  Our new Youth Development (YD) trainers came, a couple of girls from the Grand North, where I’ll probably be stationed.  They seem like good people, and it’s nice to get to hear a bit about the Grand North.  What I heard about the lack of fruits and vegetables up there sounds true; apparently things are really seasonal.  December has a lot of stuff, but a lot of other times of the year there is almost nothing outside of the regional capital. 

I also went on my first school visit.  Luckily, it happened to be at the only Anglophone school in Bafia, so it was really easy to ask questions of the teachers and the principal.  The plusses were that the students seemed really disciplined, motivated, and attendance was high.  The minuses were that there are only 8 teachers for more than 400 students, which means 50-80 students per class (or more), and only about 16-25 desks per class.  (My host-dad is the principal at another school that has only 6 teachers for 5-600 students.  School is ‘free,’ but between mandatory PTA fees, uniforms, and books, most people can’t afford the basics like the three ‘required’ books and school supplies.  When I was a teacher, I thought that having 34 students in a class was hard, much less up to 150 students like in some Cameroonian schools.  Combine all this with dilapidated infrastructure and it makes it a pretty tough place to succeed. 

I also got a new host-sister this week.  My French isn’t exactly great, but from what I understand she is here to get an education.  Apparently people in smaller villages will send their kids to family or friends in larger towns and cities to get a better education.  Her name is Adama, she is six, and adorable.  I have a hard enough time understanding little kids in English, so I can understand hardly anything she says.  Basically we have a relationship like the little girl and the blue monster on Monsters Inc.  She creeps as close as she can to me until I chase her away, laughing and screaming.  If I don’t pay attention to her long enough, she runs up and hits me and then runs away.  In the mornings she likes to play telephone, though our conversations usually consist of “Bonjour.” “Bonjour.”  “Ca va?”  “Oui, ca va.”  “Bye!” 

We also finally got paid today, so I’m feeling good.  I’ve got 41,000 CFA to last the next two weeks, or about $82 – plenty.  I’m trying to decide if I want to have some shirts made like other people are, or just see if I can save it for later.  However, saving it may be difficult; the bar is across the street and all. 

Mon pere

Ma mere

Ma nouvelle petite soeur, Adama

Ma grand-mere

Mon frere, Willy (or Khalifa) 

No comments:

Post a Comment