Translate

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Traffic Accidents and Prostitution - A Language Test


Thursday, October 18, 2012 – Traffic Accidents and Prostitution - A Language Test

I hit a low patch today, but I guess one after a month is not that bad.  We had our second language test and mine went absolutely terrible.  I got there and I don’t know if it was nerves or what, but I felt tongue-tied the entire time.  During the interview, the guy nodded off on me three times.  Literally, eyes drooping, head going down.  He woke back up quickly each time, but that didn’t exactly boost my confidence about how the interview was going.  I clearly wasn’t interesting him enough to keep him awake. 

The questions he asked didn’t really help either.  First, he asked me about arriving in Cameroon, something I have talked about a ton of times with my teacher but couldn’t seem to this time.  Next about my typical day, which he seemed bored by.  Then came the question about prostitution in Cameroon, a subject that I know very little about.  Even if I did, the vocabulary I have been learning has nothing to do with it.  For the last question I had to describe a car accident that I witnessed.  I had no idea what the verb “to hit” was – it’s frapper (at least I think that would be the right one in this context) – so I used the closest I could think of.  Unfortunately, I don’t think giffle, which means to slap, was really what he was going for. 

He asked me after how I thought the interview went and what level I thought I tested at.  I said I thought it went alright but not great, but I hoped that I tested into Intermediate High (the level I need to go to a French-speaking region).  He literally laughed at me.  Probably another bad sign.  I guess I will have another test in two and a half weeks where I might be able to make up for it.  Either way, at this point I feel like crap about my language ability.  I’m also nervous that I’ll be placed in a French class that is lower than I need next time. 

At least I got my new bou-bou today, a Cameroonian-style shirt.  I really like it too; it’s even (almost) Broncos colors.  I want to get more made.  I might head to centre-ville (the center of the town) this weekend and pick up some more fabric.  My host-mom got this fabric for me, so hopefully I can pick out some ask nice as she did.  The fabric usually runs about 6,000 CFA or $12, and then it’s another 2,000 CFA to have the shirt made, so only $16 total with some fabric left over.  Not bad for a hand tailored shirt, and I might be able to get a bit less fabric so I don’t have to pay as much. 

I got a bunch of books today from a friend from training, but my computer won’t recognize my nook when I plug it in.  Anyone have any idea what the problem is?  I’ve tried restarting the computer with it plugged in, tried turning the nook on and off, both with it plugged in and not, I even skimmed through the user guide on it.  I really don’t know how to get these new books on or what the problem is.  I know the cord works because the light comes on and it charges when I plug it in. 

I will have to wear the ‘French Expert’ badge tomorrow, which means I can’t speak English the entire day.  You get this as a punishment for breaking the immersion rule in certain areas, something I did yesterday when I spoke in English with three other people in the lobby.  Plus I am still sick. 

I really can’t wait for this week to be over.  Luckily only a day and a half until my day and a half weekend.  Unfortunately I will have to spend a few hours catching up on the laundry that I didn’t do last weekend.  I know that things will get better soon so I just have to wait to get back up to that next plateau.  At least I’ve got some good friends here to hang out with, and the second half of Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark to look forward to tomorrow.  Enough of a pity party, time to go get as much sleep as mefloquin will allow.  

New shirts!  

Sometimes we like to be awkwardly angry

Walking back to training from a school visit

Another rainy day

No comments:

Post a Comment