Translate

Monday, October 1, 2012

The New Bane of my Existence

The New Bane of my Existence – Sunday, September 30, 2012

Well I’ve discovered the new bane of my existence: washing clothes by hand.  I knew it wasn’t going to be pleasant, what I didn’t know was that it would take me three hours.  I guess I did have more than 2.5 weeks of clothes, but still.  Plus I got a bit a rash from the bleach.  Luckily, I’ve seen Tom Cruise do it in Far and Away, so I knew I had to scrub hard instead of pulling a Nicole Kidman, so everything seems like it got pretty clean.  Not quite sure about the rope sandals yet, but I think I did a pretty good job on them, maybe didn’t get all the soap out though.  Either way, this is going to be a once a week thing from now on instead of a once every few weeks.  I really hope that once I get to post I can just devote a portion of my budget to someone doing it for me.  In the information packet, it said that many volunteers hire someone to cook for them – I can cook, so maybe laundry would be a better option. 

My host family is great, but my host brother is starting to be a bit of a pain in the ass.  He just walks into my room if I leave it unlocked.  This could be at 7 AM, 7 PM, or after I’ve been in my room for a few hours ‘in bed.’  Not only that, but he’s taken to asking for stuff rather tenaciously, and not exactly politely.  “Give me your IPod.  Buy me chocolate.  Give me your headphones.  Give me your bike.”  Then when I say no, he calls me a bad person.  His mom was out of town for a couple of days, so I’m hoping that now he’s back he’ll knock that stuff off; he has for now.  Either way, doesn’t change the fact that he’s in that annoying 14-year-old stage and acts really squirrely a lot of the time. 

So after two nights of the bottom of my bed falling out, I finally told my host mother.  Within a couple of hours a guy was there and fixed it, so I probably should have just said something earlier.  I also told her that I really didn’t like ‘saucissons,’ which she usually served as part of my breakfast.  Basically think of a mixture between hot dog and spam, with a kind of bitter taste, served cold.  Luckily most of the other things she serves are delicious, so I haven’t been going hungry or anything.  I’m out of the bottles of water they gave me and am relying solely on my gross-tasting filtered water now.  Hopefully it will start tasting better over time.  I think tomorrow, since I just started using my filtered water, I’m going to use it for my ‘shower.’  Hopefully that will run it through once and make it taste better. 

We’ve already had our first hookups in our training group.  More than one couple started in Yaoundé.  I’m not sure how it works with the host families and all, but hey, more power to them.  We’ve also had our first rip-offs.  One of my fellow trainees had their host-mother make them buy groceries for the whole family – something that PCTs definitely should not have to do.  The Peace Corps pays the families enough for us to get the food we need and all that, plus a bit extra.  Not necessarily enough to make a living or anything, but enough to make it worth their while.  Some host families like to take advantage of this, so hopefully the Peace Corps will fix this situation for the PCT. 

I am more than halfway through my autobiography by Bruce Campbell and got to the part where he made Army of Darkness, one of my favorite bad movies.  I can’t wait to watch it again, so a few of my fellow PCTs and I are going to watch it after training tomorrow.  The good thing about having around 250 movies is that you can sort of dictate what you are going to watch with fellow PCTs, so forcing people to watch one of my favorite B-movies isn’t difficult.  Next stop – Hamlet II?  Not really sure yet, but I can’t wait. 

The story my friend told me about being ripped-off made me a bit nervous.  I gave my host-mom 10,000 CFA to buy me some stuff yesterday.  She only gave me 2,500 CFA back, but I think since she got me such a big thing of detergent that it was probably legit.  Also, my host mom seems pretty great, so I trust her.  It was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but it will last a while, so I’m good. 

I’m getting pretty nervous about how I’m going to get all of my stuff to my post in the end.  So far, aside from my two bags that are about 100 lbs. between them, and my backpack, I have gotten a regulator the size of a car battery, a medical kit, a motorcycle helmet, a bike, soon to get a bike helmet, plus several decent-sized manuals.  I had enough to carry without all of the extras, and I really doubt that they have a plan for these things. 

If you weren’t skimming earlier, you saw that one of the things that they gave us was a motorcycle helmet.  Apparently it’s for when we take moto-taxis.  And so we come to my biggest complaint about the Peace Corps (other than the bullshit useless general trainings).  For some stupid reason we can’t get motorcycles.  I’m assuming it has something to do with safety and insurance, but I think I would be much safer driving myself around then taking a moto-taxi from some guy or some crazy bus.  They keep telling us how big of a problem alcohol is in Cameroon, so I’m assuming that applies to bus/taxi drivers too.  Wouldn’t it be a lot safer if we could drive ourselves around?  Here is one of the biggest problems when dealing with government bureaucracy: stupid, asinine rules that seems smart to some pencil-pusher in Washington but doesn’t really make sense in the real world. 

Also, I think Lucy from Burn Notice is the love interest in another of my favorite B-Movies, The Big Hit, with Marky Mark.  Could someone check that for me and let me know if I’m right?  Thanks. 
Now that's a good looking group

My training center

Storms a-comin'

My walk to training

6 comments:

  1. You were right about Lucy, she is the chick from the Big Hit, according to IMDB

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha. this made me laugh out loud! i really think you should be bartering services. maybe you ride someone around on your bike and they can do your laundry? also, is bleach really a necessity?

    btw: pretty pictures!

    ps: nip that 14 year old angst in the bud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Already complaining about washing your own clothes, huh? ;)

    Just don't let it back up. Do a few things a day because otherwise it takes forever and you're left with only the crap clothes you never wear because everything is drying and you have nowhere to sit because you ran out of room on the clothes lines and you had to start using the backs of chairs (or maybe that's just me...)

    Good luck buddy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary: Thanks, I knew it was her!

    Kelsey: I don't think people will pay to go around on my bike when there are mototaxis. Also, apparently bleach is necessary, both for rinsing your clothes (the water has a lot of sediment here) and also for washing floors (as insisted by my host mom).

    Lena: I think I will do once a week, it's hard to do more often because it is so late by the time I get home on weekdays. Also, it is the rainy season, so it's usually pissing rain at nights and sometimes during the day too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gotta say Graham, I think it is really f'in cool what you are doing. It's very inspiring to see. Good luck in your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Far and away is a great model for one's life. Glad their broken relationship could manifest itself in a real positive way in your life.

    I'm sure you can pay someone to wash your clothes, that seems likely.

    Hook ups and rip offs sounds like a business as usual for the whole world.

    I vote for hamlet II! Is it possible for you to lose one of the helmets and use the safest one on both?

    Sounds like the same amount of experience is used when people make education decisions. " I've never taught, but I'm sure we should force people to do what I think in classrooms."

    ReplyDelete