Translate

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Shall we go for a beer?


Friday, October 12, 2012 – Shall We Go For a Beer? 

I got home a bit late tonight, and realized why some of my fellow PCTs leave the bar so early.  I am about 50 feet down a mud path, takes about a minute to walk; others are at least ten minutes down the path.  I walked one of them home tonight, over two bridges, took a couple of turns, and definitely got lost one the way home.  Luckily, I just followed the direction I thought I should go and found the main road pretty quickly.  Not the way I should have gone, but made it, and respect the way others have to go quite a bit more.  I’m not looking forward to the next time I have to walk someone home that path, but it’s cool knowing where everyone else lives.  I walked her and another trainee home tonight too and I know the path now.  Should have looked closer at what I was doing in the first place. 

I got home after curfew (don’t worry, I let them know I was walking someone home).  After getting home, we started dinner and my host father came back after a few beers with his best friend.  We ended up getting a beer afterwards, first time I’ve gone out with my host-father.  His best friend came with us; the guy ended up telling me – several times – that he wanted to hook him up with my sister.  Not my sister ‘aux Etas-Unis,’ but my sisters here, from training.  Basically, any white girl from my training group.  I told him several times that it was not my choice who they dated, but he didn’t really care.  It sounded like he wanted me to bring them around on Sunday so he could meet them all, so I think we’ll need to hit another bar then.  He didn’t show up, so no harm. 

Also, the same guy who yelled at the guy we were with the first time we were at the bar talked to my host-father.  We left shortly after.  I am really curious with who this guy is and how he seems to have power/influence over everyone. 

One of the things I love about watching Burn Notice is picking out people I know from other stuff.  There’s a guy in season 2 that I’m sure is Wallace from The Wire.  Carla, the main bad guy from that season, is definitely the blonde Cylon from BSG.  Is the girl from Season 2, Episode 15, from Starship Troopers?  Also, Michael seems to really play head games with Fiona. I have now finished the second season and all of the episodes I have.  Time to pick a new show.  

My family was telling me tonight that I am the best volunteer they have ever had, really makes my head big.  Then I realize how much work I still have to do with French and it goes back to normal size.  My most recent report card said what I already know: I keep messing up tenses.  For some reason, I can’t seem to use passé compose, imparfait, and present at the right times.  Of course, vocabulary and practice are also on the list. 

We watched the Cameroonian soccer team play Cape Vert today.  Their name is the Indomitable Lions, which is awesome.  Even though they won 2-1, they apparently are still out of the tournament because they needed to win by two.  Man, soccer is confusing, but I’m trying real hard to care.  When is the NHL going to get their shit together?  

My host-mom gave me some fabric today to have a shirt made by her best friend, which happens to be another trainee’s host mom.  It should be ready by tomorrow, and only cost me 2,000 CFA ($4) to have made.  Usually the fabric will run about 6,000 CFA or $12, which means I can basically have a shirt made for $16 (maybe two depending on how much of the fabric is uses).  More expensive then I was expecting, but not bad for hand-tailored clothes.  Plus I get to pick it up tomorrow after school, and a one-day turnover isn’t bad.  I won't be able to pick it up until the next day because she is going out of town today, not bad though.  

Well, I should really go do this quiz.  It’s basically based on everything we’ve done so far in our YD Tech Sessions.  I feel like a little kid with them making sure I wrote down every example and idea they had in the sessions.  I know this isn’t my trainers’ idea either, so thanks, Washington, for trying to strip the last semblance of adulthood I had.  Apparently school 6 days a week, two-hour sessions on medical mysteries like diarrhea, and a 7 PM curfew aren’t enough.  I suppose I should be grateful it’s take-home. 

My host-mom and I with the dogs.  That puppy is so cute and happy

My French teacher, she is awesome.

Relaxing in the back of the building.  This place catches the breeze just right and is about 20 degrees cooler than outside.  

Honestly, iced again?  Not only am I probably the only person in Cameroon who has been iced, but it's happened twice.  I'm glad this wasn't around when I was in college.  

No comments:

Post a Comment